Title: Deputy Director of Survey
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under general direction of the Director of Survey, supervise a Survey Crew in collecting data to produce topographical maps, calculate boundary and property lines and provide information to enable Computer Aided Drafting to produce various maps for use in support of City projects.
• Assist in ensuring that all in-house surveys are completed. Handle various field and office operations related to topography and construction survey needs.
• Train new employees, distribute work assignments to Surveyors, update completion schedules and monitor performance.
• Report to the Director of Survey on a daily basis and assist with day-to-day operations of the department.
• Serve as a liaison for the division and occasionally attend meetings with designers to discuss survey requirements and design needs for each project.
• Compile all record information from various agencies and companies such as the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Con Edison and Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA).
• Sign and seal the work of other Surveyors and direct staff in determining real property boundaries.
• In the absence of the Director, hold meetings with agency staff and other interested parties to ascertain survey needs/objectives. Provide solutions to complex surveying problems.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in surveying, surveying engineering, surveying engineering technology or in a similar surveying-related major, and two years of full-time satisfactory land surveying experience; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college or university in the surveying-related majors listed in “1” above, and four years of full-time satisfactory experience as described in "1" above; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of full time satisfactory experience as described in "1" above; and
4. A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Additional Qualification Requirement For Assignment Level III: In addition to meeting the "Qualification Requirements" for Assignment Level I - A above, to be assigned to Assignment Level III, individuals must have three additional years of experience for a minimum of five years of full-time satisfactory experience as described under Qualification Requirement "1" above and must meet the "Additional License Requirements" described below.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
ADDITIONAL LICENSE REQUIREMENT
Registration as a New York State Land Surveyor is required.
1. Knowledge of AutoCAD, Photoshop, PowerPoint and 3D rendering.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
3. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted 4/22/16 Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 239310
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.